Sunday, September 13, 2009

How did I get here??

There have been quite a few family and friends who have asked me how did I get to this place, why did I want the surgery and what steps did I take to get here. I figured that I would tell you my personal insights on how my journey started..

February, 2009

I began to work out for an upcoming triathalon in August. Last year I really worked toward this goal and two weeks prior I had fallen and broken my foot and severly sprained my ankle. So I was determined to work out and try again. My foot was finally healed enough to begin working out but it was very difficult for me. When I went to see my OB-GYN for my annual, he said to discuss with my primary care doc for all the medical documentation back up.

April, 2009

I went to my PCP and felt that he really did not take the time to really listen to me and decided at that moment that it was time to switch my care to another doctor. I set up my appointment with my new internist.

May, 2009

I went shopping for a dress for a wedding with Joe. I think for the first time, Joe really saw the struggle that I had regarding shopping for clothes. I tried on a dress that was in my size but I it was a struggle to get over my chest area. I ended up getting a dress with a size of 3X just to fit. UGH! And.. I had to wear a cardigan over it due to the fact that I would have been showing the girls all night, and it was not an approprate place to do that..

May 7, 2009

Dr. Lee and her staff was wonderful. She took the time to listen to me and what I wanted to do. She had her assistant find out for me what needed to be done (because I have an HMO) and what we needed to do to fulfill the criteria for BCBS. I also did my part in contacted BCBS directly and spoke with one of their patient advocates to determine their guidelines as well.

What was their criteria?
1. Physical therapy for at least 6 weeks
2. Need for special bra's. (and yes, Lane Bryant bras are considered specialty because of the cost)
3. Grooves in shoulders
4. Documentation for pain in back and shoulder area
5. Documentation for any skin breakdown and the treatment(yeast infections, rashes, etc.)
6. Measurements for size, along with pictures (which are required by insurance)
7. And .. Unfortunately, the insurance requires a minimum tissue removal from the surgery. So the surgery can be approved but it will remain "open" until receipt of the final surgical report.

I had to wait until I had PT done for a time to get the referral for the PS per my insurance. I decided to go ahead and set up the appt anyway just to talk to him about it. I just wanted to find out if I was a candidate for the procedure before I went through all the steps. This was set up for June 25th.

I did a lot of research on line as well, just to see what to expect, complications, and to get all my questions ready for my consult with the PS.

June 2009

I began my physical therapy through my insurance medical group and after two treatments, I decided that I would be better served to have my treatment through ATI Physical Therapy, which is my employer. Dr. Lee wrote the order so I could be treated through them. My PT, Theresa, was awesome and began to help me re-learn posture techniques and upper body strengthening exercises. I did not realize until I started treatment how severe my upper shoulder and neck was so tight because of all the extra weight. I just thought it was all just stress related.

June 25, 2009

My visit to the plastic surgeon (PS) was the one of the most boldest things I have done. Joe and his aunt went with me to the initial consultation. Joe's aunt had been diagnosed with breast cancer and had a mastectomy and I felt she had the most knowledge about this. She has been a real encouragement to me through the entire process. The bought me a book, "When Less is More", which was written about the breast reduction process. It was a very informative book.

I was called into the office and met with his assistant and then met with Dr. Sigalove. He asked a bunch of questions, both physically and emotionally. He took the time to listen to what I wanted, what I expected and then let me know how he could help me get the results that I wanted. I thought that it was wonderful that most of our consult was done while I was fully clothed so I wasn't embarrassed.

He and his assistant stepped out of the room so I could change. They came back in and took measurements and took pictures. Prior to this I was so timid when it came to this kind of thing. What woman wouldn't be? So I had to stand there in all my glory while they took pictures of me. I have to say this completely changed my outlook on myself. When I had my mammogram in July, I really didn't care anymore..

I changed back in to my clothes and we finished the consult. He said that he doesn't think there would be any problems getting insurance approval. He said the approval process would take 4 - 6 weeks. So the waiting game began....

July 2009,
I went for my first mammogram. Like I said above, after my consult, this was a snap. I did receive a call because of my large breast size and this being my first mammo I needed to have an ultrasound done because there was something they could not identify. I had my ultrasound and there were two cysts that were found. Phew! They said they they would just monitor on a yearly basis.

August 2009

I contacted my PS office to check on the status of my approval. I got a call back and she let me know that it had been approved and to decide when I wanted the surgery. I decided on the 9th because it was still a few weeks away but I wanted the boys to get settled in school first. I could not believe it was all going to happen so quickly.

I wanted to do this surgery so I could get healthy again. I need to exercise to lose weight but I was not able to exercise. Anything besides walking caused pain and discomfort. Also I wanted my neck pain and back pain to go away. My neck and back pain is almost completely gone and it's only been a few days..

Prayers by my friends and family have been assisting me in my recovery as well. I don't think I would be where I am today if I was not for this.. The support system I have had has also been amazing!



No comments: